Golden Milk Goodness – Healthy & Yummy!
Turmeric & Spice Cold Buster, Immunity Booster & Inflammation Soother
I have recently been laid low with a summer cold virus – sneezing, coughing, aching muscles & bunged-up sinuses. Although I was careful to get plenty of rest I also like a positive opportunity, so I decided to put my experience to good use & share some of the natural & herbal remedies that I have been using – hence this recipe for Golden Milk. For some basic information see this Guardian article on Golden Milk or follow the links below highlighted in green.
I was introduced to the idea of regularly drinking Golden Milk by Dietitian Dalia Maori, at the January meeting of the Aroma Supergroup Aromatherapy group. I hadn’t heard of it before but having investigated further it seems to be very popular. This is mainly due to it’s powerful ingredients, in particular Turmeric, & the active ingredient within it, Curcumin. These are both powerful anti-inflammatories which can aid our immune response to disease & improve our digestive health. For this & my recent use of Golden Milk to help to combat a summer cold please see my blog all about Colds, Disease, Inflammation & how things like Golden Milk, essential oils & herbs can help.
Colds, Disease, Inflammation Blog
These days I also like to have Golden Milk before bed for some warming comfort or during the day as a healthy alternative to tea or coffee. However, having been quite addicted to it in the beginning I now tend to limit it to a cup a day as it’s made with milk & therefore has more calories than herbal teas – be warned, it is delicious! 🙂
There are so many variations to Golden Milk, this is simply my favourite recipe. Most of the other ingredients are optional, so experiment a little to see what you prefer. The main point though is to have Turmeric & Curcumin, so I would recommend keeping this & also Black Pepper, as it’s active ingredient Piperine significantly helps you to absorb the Curcumin.
- 1 cup/mug of Coconut milk (traditionally it’s Coconut milk, but feel free to use Coconut & Almond, Almond, Hazelnut or whatever else you fancy)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil (you can vary this to your own taste or leave it out if you prefer)
- 1 cm fresh Turmeric (grated) or 1 tsp Turmeric powder (I prefer fresh but if using dried try to get organic)
- 1 cm fresh Ginger (grated) or ½ tsp of Ginger powder (I prefer fresh)
- ½ – 1 tsp of Cinnamon powder, or use a Cinnamon stick
- 1-2 Cardamom pods cracked, alternatively remove the seeds & add them, or use ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- Grated Nutmeg – as much as you like
- Black Pepper – grind as much as you like; alternatively you can add 3-5 whole black peppercorns & strain out
- ¼ tsp All Spice
- Simple to make!
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan & gently heat (do not boil)
- If using fresh Turmeric, Ginger, whole Black Peppercorns or Cardamom seeds you may want to strain before drinking
- Pour back into your mug & savour the flavour
Drink down the Golden Milk Goodness & feel yourself loved from the inside out
– so warming & comforting, but also a really easy way to make yourself better & improve your digestive & immune health
Find out why Golden Milk is considered so beneficial by reading my blog on Colds, Diseases & Inflammation here